There are many wars we wage whether we start it or are just an innocent bystander. When you live in a world that it is in context flux, how do you best safeguard your efforts and stay the course? You might think you know what you want when it comes to your career, but are you prepared to do battle when you are fighting against the odds? You may have the skills, qualifications and experience but do you have the ability to defend yourself against unforeseen enemies lurking to derail you in your career efforts? When it comes to your job are you ready to take up the fight and defend your place in line?
How you treat your job search is after all a job. You have to work at all seen and unforeseen challenges and be prepared no matter what. When it comes to preparing for a job attack are you really ready? Here are some questions you might consider in order to prepare yourself so you are not caught off guard under any circumstance.
- Do you have a list of professional references current and ready who will speak on your behalf?
- Have you saved more than 6 months of salary in the event of a layoff or termination of employment so you are not financially stressed?
- Do you know if your credit history and background reports are cleared of anything that might stand in the way of a job offer?
- Have you updated your LinkedIn profile and other professional listings?
- Do you have copies of work product or projects that you could use for future in the event someone wants samples of your work?
- Have you cultivated good relationships with your co-workers or is there any unfinished business you need to clear up?
- How have you stayed connected with your clients and professional network and have you laid the groundwork to ask for their help when needed?
- Do you know how you will handle your insurance and other financial information if you don’t have a job?
- Do you have the right skills needed to pursue your next opportunity or does it make sense to take a few classes to sharpen those skills?
- How well do you know what you want to do in your next job and what steps are you taking now to ensure you are qualified ?
They say knowledge is power and there is no time like the present to be prepared in the event a sudden change in circumstances has you out in the job battle field fighting for your life. You may not know what’s around the corner but learning to get organized even if you don’t need to pull the trigger on your job search will help you stay razor sharp and ready to move at a moments notice. Thinking through the process and taking a few necessary steps now means you may move closer to another job offer before you even need it.
Looking for a job? Find us at www.greenlightjobs.com
Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/lisakayeglj
Follow greenlightjobs on Twitter http://twitter.com/greenlightjobs
And, on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/pub/2/abb/50
Copyright © 2017 Lisa Kaye - HR & Business Consulting - The Career Rebel